You might be thinking, what is the point of that? After the initial surprise of “Yay, I won something!” that’s exactly what I was thinking. As I told Sandra, I tend to think these awards are a little funny. Sweet, of course, but also kind of funny. Bloggers giving other bloggers made-up awards and all.
Then, in her wise and simple way, Sandra reminded me that all awards are, in fact, “made-up.” They are something created by members of a community or organization to give recognition to one another. After all, I think it is safe to say that most of us appreciate recognition for our hard work and contributions, especially when given by those we respect and admire. Furthermore, awards provide added incentive to keep excelling and pushing forward.
There are awards for all types of people and purpose. The best entertainers. Deserving employees. Military heroes. Winners of competitions. And let’s not forget the very first awards we ever gave out…the “best mom ever” and “greatest dad in the world” awards for birthdays and holidays!
Awards can be a fun and beautiful way to say thank you, to the ones we love for “doing what they do best.” They are a way to pat our friends on the back, and to say, “I like what you’re doing. Keep up the good work!”
Thank you Sandra for your friendship, for thinking of me, and for this lovely pat on the back!
If you don’t already know Sandra, she is a remarkably sophisticated, compassionate, and gracious woman, and an eloquent writer to boot! She pours her many gifts into the simple wisdom for inner wellness that she offers on Always Well Within. When I’m in the need for greater balance and serenity in my life, Sandra is always a wonderful friend to turn to.
What does “Stylish” mean anyway?
Stylish is often used to describe something fashionable. The way I see it, fashion is a matter of personal taste. I find hiking pants, zip-up fleeces, and Vibram five-fingers to be quite fashionable, although some of my better-dressed friends might disagree. Furthermore, style typically denotes an air of class, sharpness, and pizazz. It describes something polished and snazzy. Oddly enough, none of those are words that resonate with me very well.
But drop the “ish” and style can take on quite a different meaning. It can be used to refer to someone’s behavior, characteristics, or their “cup of tea,” if you will. In a sense, each of us is stylish in our own way. We have our own way of doing and seeing things. It’s part of what makes us special and unique.
Speaking of unique…
If you’re reading this blog, chances are you’re my family, a friend, a fellow blogger interested in growing and gaining wisdom, or someone awesome who just so happened to stop by. Whatever the case, I want to share with you 5 more friends of mine who are a continuous source of inspiration. Their writing helps to open my heart and mind to new ways of thinking and being. I’d like to take this opportunity to recommend them to you and encourage you to stop by their corners of the blogosphere, because they add tremendous value to my life, and could potentially do the same for yours.
I know you’ve probably seen these names here a few times before, but that’s because these are the people who continuously draw me in for more. Each of these incredible people has a style that is uniquely their own and something valuable to share.
So, without further ado, it’s my honor to present the Stylish Blogger award to these friends and fabulous bloggers:
1. Robin Easton – Robin’s style is infused with love and purity of heart. When I read her writing on Naked in Eden, I am deeply aware of her love for and connection with all of nature. I’ve never actually met Robin, but in a strange sense, I feel as though we’ve known each other forever. Perhaps it’s her unique ability to tap into the universal stream of love. I get the feeling that if I ever do meet Robin, our time will be spent rolling around in a fit of laughter. Watch some of the videos on her blog…you’ll know exactly what I mean! Robin definitely has a unique style, and she isn’t afraid to march to the beat of her own drum! That’s definitely what she did during her time living in the wild Australian rainforest! (If you’re interested in learning more about Robin’s adventures in the rainforest, I’ll be writing about my experience reading her incredible book, Naked in Eden, in an upcoming post!)
2. Katie Tallo – Katie’s blog, Momentum Gathering, is one of my favorites to visit because of her simple and honest style. Katie is unforgiving about being her bold and brazen self, which is wonderfully refreshing. She has been a true inspiration to me on my blogging journey. If you’re not already a faithful reader, be sure to check out her writing! I know you’ll get just as much insight and peace from it as I do.
3. Farnoosh Brock – Speaking of style, this lady has it in the truest definition of the word! Farnoosh’s writing is like statuesque artwork, carved out of personality and glossed with elegance and class. Moreover, her blog is beautifully decorated with all of her own photography, which adds so much to her creative style. Perhaps most importantly, I am deeply impressed by the time and care she gives to each and every one of her readers. Each of her posts is like a piece of herself, gift-wrapped especially for you. Prolific living truly says it all!
4. Evita Ochel – I resonate with Evita’s holistic and truth-seeking style on so many levels! She runs not one, but three incredible blogs, all centered on helping you to expand your heart and mind, and become the highest version of yourself. When you read her writing, you will immediately see that her heart and mind are unconstrained. She has a way of subtly encouraging you to look deeper into yourself and to awaken to all that you are capable of becoming. For a taste of what I’m talking about, visit her over at Evolving Beings.
5. Lance Ekum – Wacky, fun, compassionate, and sincere…these are just a few of a long list of words I could come up with to describe Lance’s one-of-a-kind style! I’ve never met anyone as willing as he is to open himself up and share his love with EVERYONE. As I started out on this blogging journey, Lance took it upon himself to take me under his wing and make me feel welcome. I have a feeling that I’m just one of many in a sea of grateful people who have been touched by his love and kindness. Do yourself a favor and don’t miss out on the wisdom this man has to share over at Jungle of Life!
Who would be on your list of stylish friends? Is there someone out there who inspires you? Who adds value to your life? Is there someone you think deserves a pat on the back?
Well, what are you waiting for? You don’t need a made-up award to tell someone how much they mean to you. Find that person and tell them how awesome they are. I guarantee you’ll make somebody’s day!
The rest of the deal
In addition to the back-patting and passing-on of the Stylish Blogger award, there’s one more little catch that comes along with it. Recipients are asked to share 7 little known facts about themselves. In the spirit of being a good sport, I’m happy to play along. Here it is folks:
7 fun facts you might not know about me
- I’m actually pretty nerdy. No, not World of Warcraft nerdy, but I do have a tattoo written in Elvish on my ankle. If you have any idea what I’m talking about, you’re probably a bit of a nerd too.
- I’m not a fan of tomatoes. No matter how hard I’ve tried to like them, they still taste bad (with the exception of grape tomatoes…which are pretty darn good).
- I have an unnatural fear of bees, and I’m still afraid of the dark. But, I’m working on both of these!!
- I have been collecting stuffed teddy bears since I was a little kid. All of my favorite teddies (and one Moo Cow) are displayed on a shelf above my dresser.
- I set national powerlifting records my junior and senior year of high school. (You can check ‘em out here under Adrienne Hickey).
- I have a really keen sense of smell, and so I typically connect with people, animals, and places through their scent.
- Guilty pleasures…Pretty Woman, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and The Last Unicorn are three of my all-time favorite movies!
To find out more about me, my experiences, and my insights, sign up for The Full Experience. It’s my exclusive mailing list and resource created especially for wisdom-seekers like you! You’ll receive my latest insights via email, have instant access to insider guides not found anywhere else on the blog, and have the opportunities for free giveaways (like books that I’ll be reviewing on the blog). To join, just fill out your name and email address in the “sign-up” form to the right. Enjoy!
Be wise. Live life!
Image credit: Terwilliger911